Friday Sunday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday Yesterday (SoC…Y?) is “bagged.” Use it any way you’d like. Enjoy!
Well, I bagged it yesterday when I should have written (slept in gloriously – no regrets), so I’ll see if I can pull something out today.
…pull something out of the bag… get it? If you don’t, there are probably other bloggers for you. It’s ok. I have a ball, perhaps you’d like to bounce it.
Did you know in New Jersey you can’t get your groceries bagged in
recyclable disposable bags anymore? Yup, They’ve gone “full Aldi” and have you bring or buy your own reusable, bio-sustainable bags.
Oh, and Aldi saves money, too, which lowers their prices, making life a little easier on the consumer as inflation rages. What a concept, huh?
A lot of people haaaaaaaate the no bags at Aldi thing (although I’m willing to bet the Venn diagram of Aldi bag haters and Costco (also no bags) lovers is pretty close to a full circle.
Weird – why do you suppose? I have a hunch:
As usual: ‘Murica.
Aldi is a German store. It’s… different. We don’t like different. THEIR CASHIERS GET TO SIT DOWN. WHAT FRESH HELL IS BEING VISITED ON OUR POOR, OPPRESSED COUNTRY NOW?
This is ‘Merica. We don’t do “different” here (unless it makes us a lot of money). Different scares us. And we certainly don’t do things like GERMANY except…
- except some small, northern Michigan towns think lederhosen is cool (“are” cool?). Yes, “are”. “Hosen” is plural. “Pair” of pants (leather pants, meow). I get it.
- except when we “replicate” their education program (“Kindergarten” is not an English word, in case you missed it) but ignore the fact that German students also have compulsory foreign language classes (2 of them), physical education, and arts ALL THE WAY THROUGH SCHOOL. Oh..uh…. then let’s try STEAM instead of STEM (that should keep those whiny “specialists” quiet). They also track people into university or vocational tracks. At Grade 4. I guess we just take what we like and then wonder why we are behind the rest of the modern world in education. Yes, behind the rest of the world. You know, the world we lead. As ‘Murica. We’re not winning anymore. If you think we are, you aren’t paying attention. Or you’re watching FoxNews. Same thing.
- except when a minority population seizes government control and implements a fascist dictatorship. We seem to like that, too.
Yay, Germany! Except, not… when you’re TOO different. I WANT MY DISPOSABLE GROCERY BAGS! I WILL NOT BE INCONVENIENCED FOR ANYONE! NOT EVEN IF IT MEANS SAVING THE WORLD!
We’re ‘Muricans. We don’t save the world, we SUBDUE it and HAVE DOMINION OVER IT (Biblical – look it up – if you say different, you hate ‘Murica – see how easy that is?).
I’m over it, to be honest. In 2016, I was screaming “1930’s Germany!” to anyone who would listen (which weren’t many). “The system will hold”, I was told. What say ye in 2022? Personally, I’m not hopeful. We are one Reichstag Fire away from collapse, since we seem to like Germany so much. Actually, now that I think about it, we stopped liking Germany when we ditched the rest of our allies in favor of cozying up to strongman thugs like Putin, Kim Jong il, Mohammed bin Salman and the like.
Folks, our most hated adversary for over 60 years invaded a sovereign neighbor without provocation, and we can’t even unify in outrage over that.
I’m not even sure an attack on our own soil would unify us anymore. 9/11 sorta did. For about 15 minutes. Then we had to hate Muslims (but NOT SAUDI ARABIA).
But not to worry; they’d never dare attack us here, in our own country… again…
And I think we’re bagged.
#SoCS comes from the website of Linda G. Hill.
Here are the rules:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing (typos can be fixed), and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.