loosely wrapped in feigned concern
all she does is talk
does she even know
her words pelt like hail and bounce
this friendship – a lie?
no, a real bond holds in place
the thing they both need
what were you saying?
oh yes, the thing about that
pelt, bounce, pelt, bounce, pelt
but she absorbs some.
her presence extracts a fee.
inflicts her own wounds
pays for her self-care
the need to be needed costs
the price she will pay
coat bunched at shoulders
dark glasses cover eye rolls
she asks the question
is this worth it all?
regular spot in this chair
#234 – Presence
Instructions from the challenger:
Each week I provide a photograph of mine along with a single word. The challenge? Use the pic and/or word as points of inspiration to create something — a photograph, a painting, prose, poetry, fiction, non-fiction, longread or just a few words. You are welcome to use these two elements (photograph and word) literally, thematically or metaphorically. If you create both images and words, all the better.
- Use any title you like
- Your response can be words and/or images
- You may use my image in your post, or any image you have created
- Mention that you are responding to the Pic and a Word Challenge
- Add a link to this post in your response
To help us find your response — whether on WordPress, Instagram, Flicker, Tumblr, etc. — you can also:
- Add a comment on this post to announce your response
- Apply the tag/hashtag “Pic and a Word Challenge” or “#picandawordchallenge” to your post