So if you’ve been reading me, you know I’m learning and fairly new to the world of poetry.
I got my start in April with #NaPoWriMo which gives you a prompt or format to start with each day, and I find still using a prompt is good for me about once a week.
This is new in that it is a “Stream of Consciousness” SoCS (Saturday is the last “S”) exercise based on a a word, which frightens the crap out of me because I can’t edit anything.
The word today is “nail”. Here goes:
I sort of nailed this week
but also got nailed
And one couldn’t have happened
without the other.
a mixed blessing
Unless you just prefer
to never nail anything
Then you can avoid
I like to nail things
I like to be noticed for getting it right
I like to be right for getting it noticed
I like to be getting it for noticing right
And if that means a nail
comes my way
before I nail it right back?
I can take it.
Nail me. I’ll nail it.
Here are the rules:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing (typos can be fixed), and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. I will post the prompt here on my blog every Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” “Begin with the word ‘The,’” or will simply be a single word to get you started.
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top. NOTE: Pingbacks only work from WordPress sites. If you’re self-hosted or are participating from another host, such as Blogger, please leave a link to your post in the comments below.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read all of them! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later or go to the previous week by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. As a suggestion, tag your post “SoCS” and/or “#SoCS” for more exposure and more views.
8. Have fun!